Diwali is right around the corner, which means it's time for another yummy Diwali sweets recipe. This time, we're diving into the world of kid-friendly and healthy Puffed Quinoa Peanut Butter Bites, an easy Diwali treat that requires no baking and zero added sugar*. This healthy Diwali dessert can be customized using ingredients you already have at home, making it an ideal project for involving the kids. Not only does it taste good, but it's also a wholesome choice packed with protein and embellished with a yummy chocolate layer on top, making it a great dessert option for the little ones during the festive season.
These Puffed Quinoa Peanut Butter Bites consist of two delicious layers - the foundation being the nutty quinoa base and the upper layer smothered with molten chocolate and an array of colourful sprinkles. The quinoa layer offers room for customization, where you can incorporate nuts, raisins, or even chocolate chips to suit your taste. Similarly, you have the freedom to experiment with diverse toppings for the luscious chocolate layer. In my version, I opted for 'Galaxy' themed sprinkles to enhance the fun factor, especially for the little ones. The natural sweetness in this treat derives from the honey-infused peanut butter mixture and the luscious chocolatey topping.
Sugar-Free, No Bake Diwali Sweets Puffed - Quinoa Peanut Butter Bites
- 6 cups of puffed quinoa (substitute with puffed rice or puffed rice if desired)
- 1 1/2 cups of creamy 100% peanut butter (or any nut butter of your choice)
- 1 cup of honey (substitute with maple syrup for a vegan option)
- A pinch of salt (to balance the sweetness)
- 3 cups of chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Themed sprinkles or edible glitter (for festive fun)
1. Begin by preparing a baking dish or tray. Line it with parchment paper for easy removal and set it aside. I used a 10x8 inch dish
2. In a pot, gently heat the peanut butter and honey on low flame until they're smooth and well combined. Make sure to stir continuously to prevent any burning. This should take around 5 minutes.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the pinch of salt for that perfect balance of sweet and savoury.
4. In a larger bowl, pour the warm peanut butter and honey mixture over the puffed quinoa and mix well. The mixture should start to come together and stick once every grain has been coated.
6. Transfer this to the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
7. Press this down as flat as possible with the back of a spatula. Once flat, get something like a drinking glass and roll over so the mixture is very compact - this is important so it isn't too brittle when cutting and serving. Once you have pressed it down with the glass, you can use your hands to press down further, especially in the corners.
8. Using the double boiler technique, add your chocolate chips and coconut oil to a bowl and melt.
9. Once melted, remove from the heat and pour over your quinoa mixture. Spread this evenly ensuring the corners are covered.
10. Add the sprinkles or toppings to the chocolate, then place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
11. Once its firm, cut into desired pieces and store in an airtight container. These will keep well for a week at room temperature.
These Puffed Quinoa and Peanut Butter Bites are a wonderful treat that's ideal for Diwali celebrations with kids or any special occasion. The adaptability of this recipe means you can customize it to your liking with different kinds of nut butter and puffed grains. The combination of sweet and savoury flavours, along with the delightful crunch, will have everyone reaching for more.
So, whether you're celebrating Diwali, a birthday, or just craving a delicious snack, these bites are a great way to enjoy a homemade treat with friends and family. Give them a try, and watch them disappear in no time!